Development of LIDAR technologies for detecting wind field structures with regard to optimising wind energy use in mountainous-complex terrain.
Development of procedures for Lidar measurements in topographically complex terrain, including:
- Development and validation of wind field models for complex terrain
- Measurement and analysis of the special wind conditions and turbulent structures in complex terrain
- Validation of models and measurement methods for complex terrain at a location compliant with IEC standards
- Simulation of flow in complex terrain and of the interaction between wind flow and turbine, support through lidar measurements, comparison of simulation results with wind tunnel measurements on terrain model and with in-situ measurements.
- Applying the comprehensive wind field measurement and simulation data to predict power performance and load behaviour of wind turbines using a generic turbine model
Lidar Complex was lead by Stuttgart Wind Energy (SWE) at the University of Suttgart.
- WindForS Research Project “Lidar Complex” Funded (1/10/2012)The German Federal Environment Ministry (BMU) has approved the research project “Lidar Complex” providing funding for three years. The project deals with the development of Lidar technology in mountainous, complex terrain. In addition to three Lidar systems owned by the Stuttgart Chair of Wind Energy (USTUTT) and the Institute for Meteorology (KIT) two wind measuring …
- IEA Topical Expert Meeting “Wind Energy in Complex Terrain” (13/11/2013)From 12-13 November 2013, the Endowed Chair of Wind Energy of Stuttgart University (SWE) was host to an expert meeting on “Wind energy in complex terrain”. The meeting was organized in cooperation with CENER, the Spanish National Renewable Energy Centre (Centro Nacional de Energías Renovables) and is part of the International Energy Agency (IEA) …
- IEA Wind Task 32 Workshop on Using Lidar in Complex Terrain (13/11/2017)Using wind lidar in complex terrain isn’t easy. The systems work well, but there isn’t much in the way of standards and not a lot of experience outside of research applications. Masts and towers are still popular. So, how can we leverage the strengths of wind lidar in complex terrain, and mitigate the challenges? These and …
Funded by the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy
- Project number 0325519
- Project duration 01.10.2012 – 30.06.2016